Another fabulous recipe from my lovely friend, Katie Boswell. I actually made this a couple weeks ago, but I'm just getting around to posting it now. It was super simple and very tasty!!! Will definitely be making again.
Slow Cooked Bombay Potatoes
Takes about 30 minutes to prepare and 4-6 hours to cook. Serves 4-6 people.
3 lbs potatoes
1 can chick peas
1 medium onion
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 tsp kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
coriander (or flat-leaf parsley)
1. Preheat your slow cooker.
2. Mix up all seasonings, except the mustard seeds, in a bowl. Don't worry if you already accidentally added the mustard seeds. I did too. It still turned out.
3. Mince the onion. Peel, wash, and cube the potatoes.
4. Wash the tomatoes, squeeze out the seeds and chop 'em up. Don't worry about peeling them.
5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the mustard seeds, and wait for them to start popping.
6. As soon as they pop, add the onion. Cook for a minute or until the onion turns translucent.
7. Add the spice mixture and cook for another 3 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes and mix, making sure every potato gets some of the spice mixture.
9. Transfer the potato mix to your slower cooker and add the tomatoes, can of chick peas, and the salt & pepper. Stir together.
10. Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours, depending on your slow cooker. When done cooking, add the corriander or parsley all over and serve with rice.