Monday, February 27, 2012

Everything but the Kitchen Sink – Indian Curry in a Slow Cooker

IMG_1944

So I've been lazy lately.  I was out of town two weeks ago and last week I had a lot of catching up to do around the house, so I'm long overdo for a recipe.  I promise I'll make something this week, but in the meantime, I wanted to post this AMAZING recipe I received from my lovely colleague, Katie Boswell.  She prepared this delicious meal a couple weeks ago and my mouth has been watering since.

Everything but the Kitchen Sink – Indian Curry in a Slow Cooker
Source: Katie Boswell
Photo Credit: Katie Boswell

Prep time is about 20 minutes and cook time is about approximately 4 hours.

This recipe was inspired by a curry dish my mother made that I felt could be adapted to a slow cooker. Be prepared, it does have an authentic Indian heat to it!" - Katie Boswell

You can put pretty much use any vegetable in a curry dish but I felt the heartier ones would hold up better in the slow cooker, Don’t be scared to add your fave veggies to this dish. Butternut squash, eggplant, etc would all be nice additions.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 sweet onion chopped chopped/slice/diced to the size you prefer
  • 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup of Curry powder
  • 2 tbs of flour ( I recommend Wondra flour)
  • 1 tbs chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 2 or 3 large bell peppers, color of your choosing
  • 1/2 head of Cauliflower pulled apart
  • 1 cup of chickpeas
  • 1 14 oz can coconut milk, unsweetened
  • 1 ½ cup carrots cut into matchstick size
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 oz sliced mushrooms (I use a blend of baby bella, shitake and oyster but any ones will do)
IMG_1926

IMG_1935

IMG_1928


IMG_1929

Directions
  1. Place potatoes , onion and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker
  2. Combine curry powder, flour, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Sprinkle spices over the potato mixture and coat evenly
  3. Add bell peppers, cauliflower, chick peas, coconut milk, and stir to combine
  4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low until the mixture is bubbling, add some water or additional coconut milk if it looks dry and allow to cook on low for about 3 hours or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be cut in half with a fork
  5. Add carrots, mushrooms and cilantro and cook until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes
  6. Salt dish to taste
  7. Garnish bowl dish with cilantro to serve
Curry Tip: Some curry spice can end up a tad bitter when not used in the correct proportion or cooked at too high a heat. If you find a curry to be a tad bitter add 1 tsp of salt + 1 tsp sugar and stir, repeat until the bitterness is gone.

IMG_1927

IMG_1930

IMG_1931

IMG_1933

IMG_1934

IMG_1942

1 comment: