This cake has some sentimental value attached to it. Last December a very close friend of mine passed away and today was her birthday. After some debate in my head, I decided I wanted to make her a cake (and then consider to eat the whole thing by myself), but because I am vegan and she was not, I wasn't sure what to make. I wanted to keep it as traditional as possible. Dana loved chocolate and she (like pretty much any sane person, also loved cake - any cake.) After a little searching, I found this simple vegan chocolate birthday cake recipe on Instructables.com. It turned out flipping amazing. It's so delicious, and I know Dana would have devoured it with me. I miss her terribly and this cake has not only satisfied my chocolate craving, but it also made me feel a little better about Dana not being around for her 24th birthday. I hope she knows I am only celebrating because I love her and think of her every day.
Chocolate Birthday Cake
Takes 20 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to bake, 2 hours to cool, and 20 minutes to make the frosting and spread it on the cake. Serves 9 people.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In an 8x8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork. Make sure it is very well blended.
- Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Again, make sure the mixture is really well blended. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 2 hours. Do not make the frosting until the cake has completely cooled as it cannot sit.
- After the cake has cooled, bring the sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil in a small/medium sauce pan.
- Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It will look gloppy, but it's just the bubbles! Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately!! Let cool for 1 hour... if you can wait that long!