Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sautéed Kale

DSC_0006

DSC_0010

Went for a second run this week with this sautéed kale.  To be honest I didn't really like it.  The flavor was great, but the texture of the kale... I wasn't a big fan of.  I've only had kale once before at The Green Cafe, but it was much softer and easier to chew.  I do, however, think it turned out how it was supposed to, and my roommate gladly ate it for me.  He enjoyed it and said that kale definitely has an acquired taste.  Here is the recipe nonetheless!

Sautéed Kale
Source: Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Takes about 20 minutes to make and serves 1-2 people

Ingredients:
  • 4 stalks of fresh kale
  • 5 baby Portabella mushrooms
  • 1/4 onion
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1/2 lemon
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
Directions:
  1. Wash kale and cut into 1-2 inch pieces.  Place in a bowl.  Squeeze the lemon half onto the kale and let sit for 5 minutes.
  2. Pour a splash of olive oil in a large skillet and heat on low.  While heating, rinse and chop up the remaining veggies. 
  3. Sauté all veggies until cooked.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I love kale. Oh so good for you too! Try steaming it next time and it will be much softer. Also, you should try making kale chips-you won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete