Been craving soup, soup, SOUP lately! Perhaps because it finally feels like WINTER! There's snow on the ground at last. As much as I hate being cold, I love the beauty of snow, particularly fresh snow. Anyway, here is a recipe for a hearty winter soup, slow cooked split pea soup. It turned out great and it was super easy (I...love...you...crock pot...!)
Slow Cooked Split Pea Soup
Takes 5-8 hours depends on if you cook it on high or low. Serves 6-8 people.
- 16 oz split peas
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 -1 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups hot water
- Layer ingredients in order listed above. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook until peas are soft. (High: 4-5 hours or Low: 8-10 hours)
- Remove bay leaf and garlic (if it has held together) before serving.
The cleanup factor:
"The cleanup factor" is a new part I've decided to add to my blog, since cleaning up is the worst part of making any recipe. As implied by the title, I will just mention how light or rough the cleanup was after making the recipe. The slow cooked split pea soup's cleanup factor was very light. Just some scraps to go down the garbage disposal and a few dishes, like the knife used to chop the veggies, measuring cups, cutting board, and the crock pot itself to wash.