First recipe went well! It took me a long time because I have terrible knives and the smallest cutting board in the world (siiiggghhh, I guess I could invest in better kitchen-ware). The recipe for the filling made A LOT, so when stuffing your peppers, make sure to fill them very generously. I had some filling left over, which I plan to use in a salad. Or better yet, perhaps in place of taco filling...nomz. Anyway, this dish was great. I didn't prepare any sides with it, but it was fine alone. I will definitely be making this again in the future!
Vegan Creole Stuffed Peppers
Source: Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Takes about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how quickly you can chop veggies.
Makes 4 servings.
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, sliced thinly
- 2 15oz cans of black eyed peas, drained
- 1 15oz can of chopped tomato
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x11 pan with olive oil. Cut the peppers in half, the long way. Try to keep the stem on one side for appearance. Gut the center and boil in a large pot of water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onion, carrots, garlic, and jalapenos. Stir and cover. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the black eyed peas, tomatoes, and spices. Stir and cover. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the peppers in the greased pan and fill peppers with veggie, bean mix.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.